Thursday, April 29, 2010

118/365 - I Walk the Line

It is easy, sometimes, to get stuck photographing the same sorts of things. It's spring. There's lots of flowers. They are pretty. Sometimes you can get a different perspective on them, a fresh look at the familiar. But at the same time, it is easy to keep shooting the same thing, different flower. Then the photos get stale. And the inspiration dries up.

But the thing about this project is I can't say: Screw this, in a few days maybe I will feel creative. No, I have to shoot something.

For the first time yesterday, I actually found that inspiration in music. Maybe it's just me, but there are certain songs, certain lyrics that when I hear them, create snapshot in my head. Or at the very least make me think there's an image in there somewhere. One sense helps feed another sense, stimulating an emotional reaction. And if it's done well, it taps into universal archetypes.

I think music videos, good ones, tap into that. Chris Isaak's "Wicked Game" comes to mind.

This particular image did not come out as I hoped. But at least there was some inspiration involved - sometimes I simply lack the skill to recreate what is in my head. The important thing is to keep on trying.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers